AW: [Retros] Messigny 2006

Gerd Wilts g.wilts at mnet-online.de
Mon Jul 24 11:58:39 EDT 2006

Yes, I suppose that I gave the wrong solution to the 1st commendation when I
entered the problem, but that doesn't matter for the soundness of the
problem.

BTW, I don't agree that both 2nd HM ex aequo show a Pronkin-AUW because it
cannot be proven that Ra1 and Nb1 are really Pronkin pieces, i.e. it cannot
be proven that they occupy the squares of original pieces which have been
captured. But this is of course a question of the definition of "Pronkin" in
classical retros. For a "strict" Pronkin AUW at least 5 promotions are
necessary (2 Night promotions because Nights may exchange places in the
initial phase of the game).

Here is my setting with 4 "strict" Pronkin promotions:

1n5n/pp3Ppk/2p1pRpb/5pp1/8/8/4P1PP/1NBQKBNR
12+12
Pronkin pieces Dd1, Bc1, Nb1, Ng1

Gerd