[Retros] 50 moves rule

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Fri Dec 29 12:54:55 EST 2006

Dear Retro-Friends,

I searched the web a little bit for not-current chess rules and not-current
codexes - the result was very poor. For example, the current codex at

http://www.sci.fi/~stniekat/pccc/codex.htm

does not even have a publication date - the page "last updated" in February
1999, but there is a chapter "Proposed amendments (Wageningen 2006)". When
has this codex agreed, and which codex was valid until then?

As this discussion shows it may be very useful to have all agreed codexes
and all agreed FIDE rules handy - it should be available on the Web. Many
problems may only be valid if one considers the then-current codex or rules.
If someone has ancient codexes (and ancient FIDE rules) handy, she/he may
send it to me (scanned images are acceptable). I will publish it on the
Retro Corner, and at least the ancient codexes should be published on the
PCCC Website as well.

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://www.janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." [Benjamin Franklin]