[Retros] Comments on Messigny tourney results

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Sat May 28 05:28:36 EDT 2005

Dear Tom and Pascal,
I did not mean to say that ALL or MOST thematic tourneys should be judged according to a technical procedure. I just wanted to say that if SOME thematic tourneys were so judged, participants would have only themselves to blame for their unsuccessful performance. I don▓t believe anyone will question the fact that competition is more typical of sports than of art. ⌠Artful■ judgment is based on judges▓ inner preferences; it is hard to imagine two judges separately producing the same sequence of awards in a tourney with many entries; moreover, if a judge was to evaluate entries in the same tourney twice, then, provided that the inter-judgment period was long enough, certain differences between the two award patterns would be quite likely.
I know perfectly well that in many realms society hates changing established rules. One example is football, where the referee is still prohibited from resorting to video replays, in spite of the fact that doing so would greatly diminish the arbitrariness of refereeing. On the other hand, in ice hockey, as far as I know, judges have already been using instant replays. I feel that, in the long run, chess composition will start using judgment based on ⌠technical merit■ more frequently.
In connection with Tom▓s remark, I would like to mention the attitude assumed towards thematic tourney judgment by the once number one FIDE Album points scorer Valentin Rudenko. In an article published in Russia he strongly objects to what he describes as the WCCT tendency to judge the thematic sections according to criteria used in judging non-thematic, informal tourneys. He believes that only thematic points should count in such cases. I don▓t claim that his approach is impeccable and should be enforced. Of course many objections can be raised. On the other hand, his approach is not totally unfounded. Indeed, suppose a contest has been announced for the best project of a trade center. One of the participants submits a project which is obviously inferior to a few others, but he incidentally suggests that a nice stadium be placed nearby. Even if the designed stadium looks better than Wembley, what does it have to do with the initial contest requirement?
All right then, we may agree or disagree on some points, but the most important thing is that we all love both the artistic and sports aspects of chess composition, don▓t we?
Yours most sincerely,
Andrey
May 28, 2005

--