[Retros] About T.Orban problem; Yefim's letter 01/12/2005

Ryan M. DoubleExclam at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 02:14:55 EST 2005

The intent of Orban is to show a paradox; there are several solutions in
3.0 moves,
yet only one way to reach the position in 4.0 moves. It does not seem
natural that
adding more moves (seemingly more possibilities) to the stipulation
should result in
less solutions. This is a great problem to show to the beginning Proof
Game solver. The move Ke7! is difficult to find, and they seem to
appreciate the paradox after they solve it.

I don't consider the loss of castling rights in this problem to be
interesting at all.
Adding it to the stipulation would only distract the solver from the
real point, which
is the tempo paradox described above. It also gives solvers a hint that
the black King might move, which ruins the Eureka factor. I don't agree
that Friedel's stipulation is
an improvement.

Regards,

Ryan McCracken