[Retros] About T.Orban problem; Yefim's letter 01/12/2005

TregerYefim at aol.com TregerYefim at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 00:16:30 EST 2005

Hello from Yefim T.
We all know well known problem of T.Orban. It was recently
publish in Chess Base as an example of SPG after 3 or 4 moves for the
position
rnbqkbnr/pp3ppp/2p1p3/8/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQK1NR w
I have told Frederic Friedel about a little flaw of this problem.
If the task is to find SPG after 4 moves then we come to One position (after
1.e4 e6 2.Bb5 Ke7 3.Bd7 c6 4.Be8 Ke8); where Black castles are lost.
If the task is to find SPG after 3 moves then we come to Another position
(after
1.e4 c6 2.Bb5 e6 3.Bc6 dc6) when Castles are save.
So, we are talking about different positions!
I agree with answer of Friedel that in composition it is allowed not to point
out such things (to make it interesting).
But I suspect that in history some speculation around this problem occured.
In particular, at first it was said about 3 moves, after that 4 moves,
hinting on the same positions, but they are not!
Does somebody know about real intention of T.Orban? Who made up with a
speculation above?
And the improvement (Friedel): for this problem a task is in the question:
may Black still castle in this position occured after 4 moves?
P.S. This problem is not on contest so we may discuss it.
Yefim 01/12/2005