[Retros] [OT] You are made active -- Possible Virus?

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Sun Feb 6 07:40:22 EST 2005

Hi ALL

In the meantime the virus mail was sent two more times:

on Feb 5 at 20:46:04 (MET = Poland time)
on Feb 6 at 10:12:40 (MET = Poland time)

Both mails were received from the same sender:

pb84.plock.sdi.tpnet.pl (HELO host.com) (213.77.146.84)

The sender uses the provider "tpnet.pl" in Poland, it seems that he uses a
fixed IP address or stayed online overnight (at least both mails were sent
using the same IP addresss). Reverse DNS lookup was successful, and because
the "pb84" corresponds to the last part of the IP address ".84" (which is a
common naming schema), I think neither IP nor SMTP host are faked.

And, again, I think that the sender is a member of the Retro Mailing List.

I hope the user of the infected computer reads this mail and acts
accordingly. Any virus scanner will help.

Best Regards,

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at] [http://janko.at]
-- Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security,
- will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." [Benjamin Franklin]