[Retros] First example of 'reverse mate' theme

Mario Richter mri_two at t-online.de
Sun Oct 17 09:48:20 EDT 2004

Hello,

Tom wrote:

> In our 1979 correspondence Jim Mauldon wrote of athe ep minimal, "I see no

> way of eliminating the promoted man...." He also sent the following

example, in

> which the unit on e3 (denoted "x") can be any Black piece (i.e., not a

pawn):

> 2b1r1nr/5K1k/3q1n1b/4p1pP/5p1p/4x1p1/5p1p/8 Mate in 1.

> But it is always an interesting epistemological issue -- how can we

conclude

> that the ep minimal cannot be done without promoted force?

> I can't reach that conclusion, although I also couldn't see a way to do

it.

And I still believe it can be done without promoted pieces ...

So maybe somebody can check my next attempt in fullfilling the given task?

Mario Richter
Retros Mailing List
October 2004

a b c d e f g h
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
8 | | . | | . | | . | |*r | 8 Mate in 1
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
7 | . | | . |*q |*n | K | . |*k | 7
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
6 | | . |*b |*r | |*p | |*b | 6
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
5 | . | |*n | |*p | |*p | P | 5
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
4 | | . | |*p | |*p | |*p | 4
+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
a b c d e f g h

fen = 7r/3qnK1k/2br1p1b/2n1p1pP/3p1p1p/4p1p1/8/8

greetings

mario