[Retros] First example of "reverse mate" theme

afretro afretro at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 9 05:20:39 EDT 2004

Noam wrote:

> In fact, I constructed the position in the context of

> a rec.games.chess contest for finding the worst evaluation

> by a given computer of a won position (though I constructed

> it too late to participate in the contest). I don't know

> whether such a position was already known then. Mine has

> 15 men, each a King, Rook, or pawn:

- - - - - - - -
- - - - - P - -
- - - - P R - p
- - - p R P p k
- - - p p K - p
r - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - -

> I wouldn't be surprised if 14 or fewer is possible.

The theme has been known at least since 1969, when chess composition grandmaster Vladimir Korolkov published a position featuring this idea in his book Shakhmatist Ulybayetsya [⌠The Chess-player Smiles■, Moscow, Fizkultura i Sport Publishers]. Korolkov▓s position had 19 pieces (btw the one presented by Noam has 14 men, not 15 √ or is something missing from the diagram?); he simply wanted to expand the problem▓s retroanalytical content. Neglecting the retro tries, the number of men in his position can be easily reduced to just 10:

R - p q - - - -
k p K - - - - -

Here is an unrelated point. A chess composer from Kiev has recently published a chess composition dictionary. Can anyone please tell me whether or not it is allowed to publish ⌠commercial announcements■ like ⌠A chess dictionary edited by X is available at a price of Y euros■ in the Retro Corner?

Andrey Frolkin