[Retros] Generating proof games by computer

Francois Labelle flab at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Nov 20 21:58:52 EST 2004

Michel Caillaud wrote:

> so I think he can program similarly the longest SPG with 2

> pieces moving? if not, tell us Francois, so the chase can begin!

I don't think that I can do this one. With two sides playing instead of
one, the complexity is roughly squared. In this particular case it's
probably worse.

To see why here's a primer on how to generate record proof games with a
particular theme (say Lazy-Spectators) on a computer:

OPTION 1

Generate all games which can potentially lead to a diagram that can be
achieved by a theme game. It doesn't suffice to generate only theme games
because we need to make sure that a themed PG isn't cooked by a non-themed
solution.

For option 1 I'm limited by the number of distinct positions I can
consider at any given ply (~3e9 positions).

For R153 in Problemesis I was helped by the fact that Black doesn't move
and most White pieces are jammed. The number of positions to consider at
any given ply is bounded by 2^13*49*48/2/2 = 4,816,896, where 2^13 counts
possible subsets of black pieces, 49*48/2 white knights positions, and
divided by two because of ply parity. (There is no need to let the rooks
move.) My computer actually found 3,421,876 positions at move 24. A few
million positions is what I consider a problem of "medium" complexity for
a computer.

For Lazy-Spectators, we know that the final position will be an at-home
position with possibly 2 exceptions. But intermediate positions of
potential cooks have no such restriction, they can be pretty much
anything, so option 1 isn't practical.

OPTION 2

Generate only themed proof games with one solution directly, by checking
partial games individually for a unique solution with a proof game solver
as the enumeration progresses.

I only played a little with this idea. It's mostly limited by the running
time. If it takes up to 1 day to check a typical PG with the theme, and
the computer needs to call natch/popeye for thousands of positions... you
can see the problem. So for this to work the theme must be easily
checkable by computer.

A COMPROMISE

Instead of shooting for the theoretical maximum I can always take a guess
and search for only one particular type of solution that should be good
enough to compete with humans, and is restricted enough to be computable.
Sort of another level in computer-aided composition: above using proof
game solvers to test ideas, but not quite pressing a button and resolving
the question completely.

CONCLUSION

Proof game composition is still dominated by humans. For example I looked
at the Messigny 2004 and Champagne 2004 retro composing tourneys, and
didn't see a way to compose these kinds of proof games by computer. This
is in strong contrast with "playing chess" where computers dominate. So
Michel, don't be pessimistic, with chess problems you chose the right
field!

Francois