[Retros] Two little SPG-challenges

CAILLAUDM at aol.com CAILLAUDM at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 05:54:36 EST 2004

Hello,

Maybe "Lazy-Spectators-SPG" is not so paradoxical, but it could have been
some amusing composing challenge to compose the longest possible such
game...some years ago; nowadays, I suspect Francois Labelle will soon come with his
computer program and say"hi guys; here it is" (his R153 in Problemesis was the
longest serie-SPG with 1 piece moving (24 moves!); so I think he can program
similarly the longest SPG with 2 pieces moving? if not, tell us Francois, so
the chase can begin!)
Most LS-SPGs already published are "At-Home" SPGs, a large proportion of
them composed by Andrew Buchanan. The most used theme is combination of
Ceriani-Frolkin and Pronkin. The longest existing are 9.0 moves.

1)
Jacques Rotenberg Themes-64 1983
rnb1kbnr/1ppppp1p/8/8/8/8/P1PPPPP1/1N1QKBNR

SPG 9.0 (12+13) C+

2)
Andrew Buchanan Problemesis 2004
rnbqkbnr/p1ppp3/8/8/8/8/1PP1PP1P/R1BQKBNR
SPG 9.0 (12+12) C+

Limiting to At-Home-LS-SPG the number of moves can be elevated to 10,5
(probably Francois will say more) :
1nbqkb2/p1pppp2/8/8/8/8/PPPP2PP/1N1QKBNR

SPG 10.5 (12+10) C+
(without Ceriani-Frolkin)

with CF I got a position probably cooked :
rnb1k1n1/pp3p1p/8/8/8/8/P2P2PP/RNB1KBN1

SPG 10.5 (10+9)
for the 10.0 first moves the solving times are 18h for Euclide, 32h for
Natch and 48h for Popeye : too many capturing moves for Euclide and Natch, too
many non capturing moves for Popeye! Some occasion for human cookers to overdo
the programs!

Best,
Michel

> In the solution of Pos. B only one piece of each side

> does all the work, so I call this a "Lazy-Spectators-SPG".

Why is this paradoxical?

NDE