[Retros] Re: Massacre SPGs - Stalemate SPG

Francois Labelle flab at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Feb 29 02:46:26 EST 2004

Thank you Christoph and Ryan for your replies. I don't think that my
computer can beat these nice stalemate SPGs, it only has a chance in the
category "most depleted stalemate SPG".

Maybe I can turn this thread into a discussion about the Chess Problem
Database Server...

Before asking I did my homework and searched for:

K='proof game' AND K='stalemate' [0 PROBLEMS]

Today I checked more carefully and 'stalemate' isn't a keyword and 'unique
proof game' returns more matches than 'proof game', so these are probably
the searches I should have done:

K='unique proof game' AND K='retro stalemate' [0 PROBLEMS]
K='unique proof game' AND COMMENT='stalemate' [0 PROBLEMS]

I should say first that the Chess PDB is a great idea, a great service,
and that I shouldn't complain about a free resource, etc. That said, I
feel that it is wrong that the Chess PDB couldn't answer my question about
stalemate SPGs.

- Is the database limited to "best problems" only?

- Wouldn't it be more useful to limit it to "publishable problems"
instead, but then to have a "best problem" keyword or something like
"QUALITY >= 3" for those who want a search limited to the best problems?

- What's the difference between K='unique proof game' and K='proof game'?
If every "unique proof game" is also a "proof game", then why do I get:

K='unique proof game' AND NOT K='proof game' [1057 PROBLEMS]

If they're supposed to be exclusive unless the problem has two
stipulations of different lengths, then why do I get so many such
problems:

K='proof game' AND K='unique proof game' [731 PROBLEMS]

(These questions aren't answered in the FAQ.)

Francois