[Retros] Dead position with eternally moving Queen YefimT 08/26/2004

Michael Niermann-Rossi mniermannrossi at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 27 03:05:43 EDT 2004

Hi Yefim and everyone,

> d) your "possible action" (resigning, accepting and/or claiming a draw)

> cannot be understood as characteristics of position, they are

> characteristics of a game.

Yes, but in your model there are also legal moves as possible actions.
You connect the nodes (positions) by edges, each edge representing a legal
move. I just added some other possible actions resp. edges. I thought I
explained it in the next paragraph. For each possible action (fulfilling the
FIDE rules) you get another edge in the graph. Of course you must define it
in math. language. I think it is hard (in practice, theoretically it is easy)
to describe the edges representing the legal moves, which is needed also in
your model, but easy to describe the edges representing the other edges.

Or short: In the rules you have positions and legal actions, in the model you
have nodes and (directed) edges, but there is a 1-1 correspondence.

> 50-moves rule 3-repetition are also elements of a game (by the way,

> in

> Fide rules those rules do not mean automatically draw, if both players want

> play they will and with time delay clock their play may be infinite :(: (

> or

> :) )

Yes, but this is included in my model. A player might claim a draw, but he
can play instead.

But please answer: I gave two positions (KBN vs k), which are the same in
your model. But in a chess game in the first one White can easily win, in the
second one Black can easily force a draw (maybe it would be better to take an
example with 3-fold repetition). How can this be, if your model describes
chess correctly?

Regards, Michael