[Retros] Originals on retro list

Per Olin per.olin at pp.inet.fi
Thu Sep 26 12:58:49 EDT 2002

Hi!

I have probably not seen all thoughts expressed concerning the publication
issue, so this message might me unnecessary. Anyhow, the answer can be
found in the Codex for Chess Composition published by the Permanent
Commission of the Fide for Chess Composition. Relevant Articles and their
footnotes are copied below. According to the Codex, publication has taken
place when a problem has been published on e.g. the Retro list. This leads
to, as I can see it, that it can not thereafter be published as an original.

Best regards
Per Olin

>From Codex:

Chapter V - Publication
Article 19 - Effect of Publication
Upon first publication of a chess composition, the author acquires the right
to claim priority for it, and a priority date is assigned to it (Article
22).

Article 20 - Definition of Publication

(1) Publication of a chess composition consists of communicating it to the
public, whether in permanent form (e.g. a document or a recording medium) or
transient form (e.g. on a demonstration board or through an electronic
medium).

(2) For the purposes of this Article, "communicating to the public" means
enabling an unrestricted number of people to have the opportunity of access
to a chess composition by

(a) presenting it in permanent form, or
(b) showing or using it in a lecture or solving tournament which falls
within the categories listed in Annex I, or
(c) showing it in transient form through a generally accessible medium (e.g.
an electronic network). [22].
(3) A chess composition which is first published according to paragraph (2)
(b) above is entitled to priority from the date of that publication and is
also eligible to compete in any composing tournament within the next two
years.
- - - - -- --

22 Including the Internet and electronic mailing lists, but not e-mail.

- - - -- -
ANNEX I
Public Lectures and Solving Tournaments (Article 20 (2) (b))
Events are considered public only if they fall within one of the following
categories:

(1) A public lecture given during

(i) a meeting of the PCCC;
(ii) a competition organized by FIDE;
(iii) a meeting of a national problem chess organization, provided that the
country is a member of the PCCC and that the meeting has been publicly
announced in advance by the respective organisation;
(iv) any other meeting which has been publicly announced in advance as
public by the national problem chess organization of the country concerned.
(2) Solving tournaments:
(i) the world chess solving competition (WCSC) organized by the PCCC;
(ii) a national solving championship;
(iii) an open solving tournament organized during a meeting mentioned in
section (1) above.