[Retros] Fw: Response to Volet (easier to read, I hope?)

Pastmaker at aol.com Pastmaker at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 20:40:45 EDT 2002

DoubleExclam at comcast.net writes:

<< If the rule changes to 60 moves, a solver could correctly
contend that the problem is unsound, because white has a perfectly valid #2
even after the retro-analysis is considered. >>

Only lf the solver did not know when the problem was published!

As I thought I explained, in legal matters, the necessity of knowing the
prevailing law at the time an act occurs arises all the time in evaluating
the legality of the act. If the act was "legal" at the time it occurred,
then that act, when committed, remains "legal", even if the act would be
illegal if committed now.

Similarly, if a problem was sound when composed, that problem, as composed
and when composed, is sound forever. Presumably those of you who think that
a rule change can make a problem retroactively unsound would not welcome the
notion that something you did last year and that was then entirely legal
could subject you to prosecution because subsequent law has made the act
illegal if committed today.

"Unsound" implies a flaw, as in the case of "illegal". If a particular act
was legal when effected, that particular act never becomes illegal (although
its subsequent commission may be illegal). The analogy is perfectly clear.

I cannot understand why something so clear to our collective legal systems is
problematic for problemists, who are so much more clever than lawyers.

Tom