[Retros] Re: Musings from a Composer's perspective

Andrew Buchanan andrew at anselan.com
Thu Sep 5 19:33:19 EDT 2002

I really enjoyed the thoughtful mails stemming from the vertical cylinder
castling issue.

My own feeling is that there should be a standard set of conventions,
updated every few years. Unless otherwise mentioned in the stipulation, the
conventional conventions for the year of the problem's publication will
apply.

Initially, the conventions for 2002 can be published, and then it would be
an interesting and substantial historical exercise to work out what the
conventions should be for each year in history.

That way, each problem can be put into its historical context as far as the
rules are concerned. Each year will have its exceptions, but they can then
be viewed as such in their historical context.

The Codex is the obvious starting place for such a set of conventions. The
current version is rather telegraphic, and would need to be expanded.

Cheers,
Andrew.