[Retros] Musings from a Composer's perspective

Ryan M. DoubleExclam at comcast.net
Thu Sep 5 22:45:30 EDT 2002

Let's say I made a PG that uses extended castling around a vertical cylinder.

If it appears with the extra stipulation "with Extended Castlings", the intent has been (at least partially) given away. And the rationale for this damaging extra stipulation is that nobody ever thought of this possibility, so even though it's perfectly legal according to the rules, we don't want to damage a previous problem.

It should be the other way around. Old problems should be considered Vertical Cylinder "with no extended castling allowed". This does not give the intent away and preserves them in the event they cannot be corrected.

-Ryan McCracken