[Retros] Re: protocol

Otto Janko otto at janko.at
Sat Apr 6 16:07:27 EST 2002

Noam Elkies wrote:

> Better yet, send the solution(s) in a separate message,

> lest an accidentally wandering eye notice an unwelcome clue

> such as "0-0-0!".

The problem of how to deal with solutions has been discussed over and over
again in newsgroups like <rec.puzzles> and <de.rec.denksport> (the German
equivalent). It is not enough to write "solution follows" in a posting, or
to post the solution in a different mail. In each case there is a big chance
that the solution will be read accidentially.

If it is desired or necessary to post a solution, we should follow the
protocol that is currently used in the usenet: Include a spoiler space long
enough (at least 20 lines, 30 lines are better) such as

.
.
.
.
.
SPOILER SPACE
.
.
.
.
.
SPOILER SPACE
.
.
.
.
.
SPOILER SPACE
.
.
.
.
.
SPOILER SPACE
.
.
.
.
.
SPOILER SPACE
.
.
.
.
.

and then write the solution HERE.

LGO

- Otto Janko [mailto:otto at janko.at; http://janko.at]
-- Plausible Unmöglichkeiten sollten unplausiblen
- Möglichkeiten vorgezogen werden. [Aristoteles]