[LargeFormat] Hello all

Stein rstein at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 6 23:26:19 EDT 2008

Dear Friends,

I am a little concerned at the recent posting by Nephew Don in
which he links Uncle Dick with the word "brute". Surely after all these
years the crossbow-and-guide dog incident can be put behind us. I did pay to
have the pelt tanned and that should have been the end of it.

And the incident in the camera shop - I mean, really. A lot of
Nikon D-300's ship with wet tea bags in their mirror boxes, and I'm sure
they are all the better for it. Customers can be so petty....

Of course modifying vehicles for legitimate purposes, like fox
shooting and such, is perfectly legitimate, as long as one does not intend
to use them on public roads. You can accommodate two spotlight operators and
2 shooters on the back of a '69 Dodge ute if you weld a padded roll cage on
it and with a bit of ingenuity you can leave enough room for a ammo box and
a medium size esky. A skinning rack is a luxury.

I am jealous of those photographers who do have vehicles high enough
and sturdy enough to mount shooting platforms on the roof. I have seen it
tried successfully on Toyota Landcruisers and old Land Rovers but when
someone tried to weld a platform on the top of a Bongo van some years ago
they discovered that the basic metal up there is not sufficient to support
enthusiasm.

Uncle Dick