[LargeFormat] Correction

Leigh Solland (on Chickadee) solland at telusplanet.net
Thu Jul 21 22:25:21 EDT 2005

Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Having a film come out when pulling out the dark slide is pretty
> common. Its easy to think the film has gotten under both rails of the
> holder when its just lying on top of one. I've had 8x10 sheets come
> right out in the camera.

This one was okay until he put the slide back in.  It might have been a
little less than smooth, because it is probably the first time it has
been used in forty years, but he forced it and it crushed the film.  I
think he thought I was going to beat him to death with the light meter,
but I didn't.

>  The Miniature Speed Graphic is a neat little camera. I have one I
> restored. I have to get another roll adaptor for it. I have a very
> late Singer version, a good holder, but it won't go into the spring
> back with a spring kit adaptor because things stick out of it
> preventing it from seating properly. Sheet film is very difficult to
> find.

I haven't tried to use roll film in it.  I didn't even know there was a
spring back adaptor, just the 620 adaptor with the "tongue" that sticks
into the camera (which I don't have).

As you know, I am cutting sheets out of 9 1/2 inch aerographic film.  It
is a bit too light-weight to handle easily, but with a bit of care it
works okay, and is WAY cheaper than buying sheets (not to mention
availability).

I also have a Busch Pressman in the same format, so I was going to take
it out today and shoot some of the same shots as the Speed Graphic to
see how they compared.  But I decided that today was going to be about
my boy, not me or my cameras, so I left it home and he did all the
camera work.

We are hoping to print in the morning.  I broke a glass container today,
and inundated my darkroom in fixer, so we will see what that looks like
when it is all dried up.  I mopped the place out, but I don't know if I
will have a layer of fixer powder to deal with, and if so, I want to get
it cleaned up before I start pouring print developer into trays.

Leigh