[LargeFormat] Recementing Lenses - Part 3

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 21 16:46:54 EDT 2005

trade name "Velostigmat". Wollensak was one of the first
companies to coat lenses and to use synthetic cement.
Mechanically, their lenses are very well made.

Both the camera and lens were probably military issue. The
specification for the lens is probably the same one that
applied to the Goerz Dagor and Gundlach-Manhattan
Turner-Reich lens, maybe others. This lens is a Convertible
Protar type with cell focal lengths of 20" and 25". It is an
excellent lens, quite sharp and with relatively little zonal
spherical aberration, a property of all double meniscus
lenses. It covers 8x10 sharp to the corners at about f/16
although its optimum stop is probably f/22. The individual
cells have very good performance with relatively little
color fringing. They are sharp to the edges at around f/32,
which is pretty good for this type of lens. Dagor halves
should be stopped down to f/45.

It is very much superior to the T-R lens, not really
surfriding.

This lens is in a Wollensak Alphax shutter. These are
excellent large size shutters, IMO better than the
equivalent Ilex types.

Wollensak lenses are of variable quality, due mostly, I
think, to design problems, but the

company was capable of making excellent lenses on occasion,
this seems to be one of them. Wollensak shutters have always
been excellent.

A note on centering.

When a lens is made it is centered after grinding and
polishing. Because the surfaces of most lenses are segments
of a sphere they will automatically center around the axis
when clamped between two ring shaped surfaces.

Lenses to be cemented rely on the edge of the lens as the
reference surface for location of the elements during
cementing. They require more precise centering than single
elements. The centering method is a fairly simple one. The
element is held on the end of a rotating tube with s
flexible cement, like pitch. A small light source is shined
on its surface and the reflection examined through a
telescope. If the lens is not centered on its axis the two
reflections will appear to orbit each other. The lens is
repositioned on the tube until the two reflections are
absolutely stationary. Then the lens is clamped by a second
tube above it and the edge ground exactly parallel and
concentric to the optical axis. For cemented elements the
absolute diameter of the lens is important because the edges
are what are used to hold the assembled elements in place
during cementing.

In some lenses the elements are not of the same diameter.
The Schneider Angulon is an example of such a lens. When
lenses of this sort are cemented the edges must be held by a
special fixture. Its possible to center the two elements in
a way similar to that used for the original centering and
edging but a process like that would be uneconomical in
production. I don't know of a practical method of
recementing unequal diameter lenses on a small scale.

In summary, I am glad I undertook this project. It was quite
frustrating at times but I now have the knowledge to
recement most lenses, which may be valuable in the future.
It was certainly worth the effort.

I've probably left something out. I will be glad to answer
any question, provided I know the answers.

Again, I thank John Handly for his advise and support.

Summers Optical is at:
(http://www.emsdiasum.com/Summers/optical/cements/default.htm)

The Summers site has a very good primer on lens cementing
including preparation and full technical details on their
various cements.

The letter referring to Methylene Chloride is at:
(http://astro.umsystem.edu/atm/ARCHIVES/AUG99/msg00231.html)

July 20, 2005

---
Richard Knoppow