[LargeFormat] End of an Era at Arizona Highways

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 21 18:02:53 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Schuyler Grace" <schuyler at bellsouth.net>
To: <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] End of an Era at Arizona Highways

> I'm not saying it's an altogether bad thing, but Arizona
> Highways made a
> point of announcing in their latest issue that they have
> begun using some
> digital images.  This won't end their 80-year association
> with LF
> photography, but they won't be LF-exclusive any more.
>
> Oh, and I'm now kind of hoping Kodak will do away with
> their B/W film
> products sooner than later.  I processed a big batch of
> 8x10 TMY last night,
> and more than a few sheets had pinholes in the emulsion.
> Perhaps, I
> thought, Kodak's strategy isn't just following industry
> trends, but simply
> turning out worse and worse quality product, until no one
> wants to buy it.
> Then, they can announce the end of another unprofitable
> line to
> shareholders.
>
> -Schuyler

     Check to see that these are actual holes in the
emulsion and not clear spots caused by dust on the film
during exposure or some other cause. Pinholes are possible
if there was a coating problem. You have to look at the
emulsion surface with a quite strong magnifier to see if
these are actual disruptions in the surface.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com