[largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 16 22:34:20 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

>A bit more on the lens in question.
>
> This is a Gundlach Manhattan "Rapid Convertable"  It
> doesn't say  Anastigmat, it doesn't say Rapid Rectiliniear
> either, though I think it  is.  The glass seems to be a
> pair of asymentrical cemented doublets,  nothing like the
> massive Turner Reich lenses.
>
> At first blush, except for a real good dent in the front
> thread, I will  say nothing else got hurt. The glass is
> nice and clear, better than  most user TRs.
>
> But as soon as I do, someobody will post back saying that
> the alignment  could have gotten knocked out of whack, and
> they'd be right. But at  11x14 and contact printed to
> boot, I doubt that you'd notice any  misalignment when you
> use a strong orange filter.
>
> I think the school was thinking of buying the lens anyway,
> so I don't  believe the situation is as achromonious as it
> might appear, though I'm  not part of the negotiations.
>
> thanks to all for the help.
>

> Les

   It probably has not gotten out of alignment and as I said
earlier the ding can be removed with a tool available from
several sources. I can't find my Gundlach-Manhattan
catalogue right now (will look some more) but I don't think
this is a Rapid Rectilinear. Ernst Gundlach designed a lens
he called the Rapid Rectigraph which had three cemented
elements instead of two but the front pair was really only
the single element of the R-R split and cemented to get
around the patent. Having said that this lens _might_ be an
R-R type. R-R's were occasionally made as triple
convertibles. However, the corrections lost by the lack of
symmetry would lead to not very good image quality. R-R
lenses are not anastigmats but can produce surprizingly good
images when stopped down. The residual astigmatism was often
minimised by introducing some curvature of field to average
out the error between the two fields.
   The Turner-Reich, according to Kingslake, was probably
designed by Ernst Gundlach and the design looks like one of
his. Its essentially a Convertible Protar with the same
trick of splitting one of the elements into two. That gives
it five elements per cell. Kingslake thinks very few were
correctly centered. In any case, its performance is inferior
to the Protar (I have both), especially the individual cells
which in the T-R seem to have a great deal of lateral color.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com