[largeformat] value on 11x14 lens

LNPhoto LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 18:26:55 EDT 2005

A bit more on the lens in question.

This is a Gundlach Manhattan "Rapid Convertable"  It doesn't say
Anastigmat, it doesn't say Rapid Rectiliniear either, though I think it
is.  The glass seems to be a pair of asymentrical cemented doublets,
nothing like the massive Turner Reich lenses.

At first blush, except for a real good dent in the front thread, I will
say nothing else got hurt. The glass is nice and clear, better than
most user TRs.

But as soon as I do, someobody will post back saying that the alignment
could have gotten knocked out of whack, and they'd be right. But at
11x14 and contact printed to boot, I doubt that you'd notice any
misalignment when you use a strong orange filter.

I think the school was thinking of buying the lens anyway, so I don't
believe the situation is as achromonious as it might appear, though I'm
not part of the negotiations.

thanks to all for the help.

Les