[LargeFormat] Stirring-Up A Hornet's Nest

Gary W. Marklund Gary at marklund.com
Sun Jun 5 14:13:32 EDT 2005

Schuyler,

No connection, but have visited several times. Nice place to go to cool off.
The first visit I made was in the mid-70s. We just arbitrarily picked a
Sunday to go there. Turned out to be a special event. The 158" scope had just
been completed and they were having a "one-time-only-forever" open visitation
for all the people who had worked on the construction. It was totally open to
everyone. Got to go inside, sit in the cage and everything. It is quite an
experience to be standing in the middle of the floor of one of those
observatories when they start rotating it. Talk about vertigo ...

It seems to me that they have an observers program that you can apply to spend
an evening on the mountain. It was in their literature and/or website. That
might be your best bet for getting to photograph it.

Only other thing I know would be to try the Astonomy Department at the U of A.

Our last trip up there we got caught in one of those really bad southern
Arizona thunderstorms. Not a fun place to be!

What part of Arizona are you in?

Gary
Peoria