[LargeFormat] Stirring-Up A Hornet's Nest

Schuyler Grace schuyler at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 5 14:45:16 EDT 2005

Well, I have to say I'm so glad I poked that stick into the hornet's nest to
see if it was still alive!  Clive has done a wonderful job getting the list
back in order, and it's a joy to learn there are new folks out there to
expand our horizons (and have their horizons expanded).  But most of all,
it's great to see more traffic on the list in the last 24 hours than I've
seen in the past six months.

So, I hope all the listers out there will let the rest of us know what's
been up with them, when they get a chance.  Any big trips planned or
completed, are there new photos on the net or showing in galleries, what's
broken or causing trouble, and what has brought new revelations?

For my part, I'll start with a question:  Does anyone have connections with
the folks at the Kitt's Peak Observatory in Arizona?  I finally made it up
there last week--I've been meaning to go ever since I moved to Arizona six
years ago--but visitors' hours are only from 9:00am to 4:00pm, and I'd like
to be able to shoot closer to twilight on either end of the day.  Also, I'd
love to be able to photograph some of the mechanics of the various
telescopes, which are generally off limits to the public, and maybe even get
in some portraits of the folks who work up there in their "natural"
environment.

And by the way, if anyone else is planning a trip up to the observatory this
time of year, be prepared for ladybugs to get into everything.  I'm still
finding them crawling out of nooks and crannies in my backpack, film holder
bags, camera, etc, but fortunately, not out of any of my personal nooks or
crannies.

-Schuyler