[LargeFormat] 5x7 Daylight tank

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 6 18:19:55 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "LNPhoto" <LNPhoto at twmi.rr.com>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk at ix.netcom.com>; "f32 Large
Format Photography Mail List" <largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] 5x7 Daylight tank

> On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Meyers"
>> <aghalide at panix.com>

    For sizes larger than 4x5 I think the Morse tank is
about the only daylight tank ever made. Otherwise one must
use a drum. I have had some success developing 8x10 in drums
but it needs a special technique to avoid bromide streaking.
I have Unicolor and Besler drums, both work, and both have
ridges that allow access of the chemistry to the back of the
film. I had only one separator for the Unicolor drum but
made others from plastic food container lids. The problem I
had was bromide streaking when the drum was used on a motor
base. I think the reason is that there is not enough flow of
the developer to carry reaction products away from a line in
the direction of rotation. Agitating the drum by hand or by
taking it off the motor base and agitating sideways
occasionally will eliminate the streaking. Probably
different developers are more or less sensitive to this. The
particular negatives I first noticed the problem on were
developed in Rodinal 1:50. I am not sure now if the film was
Plus-X or Agfa APX-100. The steaking showed up on very
bright specular reflections of the sun from the windows of
distant buildings. This may not be a problem for subject
matter without this sort of very dense spot areas but its
just as well to use a technique to avoid it.
   I also tray develop large negatives. This works well, but
of course, requires a truely dark room and some care in
agitation to avoid scratching or gouging if several sheets
are done at once. Conventional tank lines are also possible
but take a lot of solution and are not IMO suitable for low
volume work.
   For 4x5 I use an old Nikor stainless steel tank. This
works very well but AFAIK, no such tank was ever made for
larger film and would probably be too large and bulky
anyway. The Nikor tank takes 12 sheets and uses a liter of
solution. A 5x7 tank would probably require a half gallon
and would be rather heavy.
   Probably print drums or BTZS are the best solution for
small volume work.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA