[LargeFormat] 5x7 Daylight tank

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 5 23:00:49 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Meyers" <aghalide at panix.com>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:07 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] 5x7 Daylight tank

> You forget about interlaving sheets in a tray in total
> darkness or visually with an infrared viewing device. Ed
>
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Frank Filippone wrote:
>
>> There was made a 5x7 version of the plastic 4x5 tank with
>> the insert for
>> holding the film.  I think it was made by Morse or FR or
>> HP/Combi, but I
>> forget....  I have never seen one for sale on Ebay.  So
>> maybe it was rarely
>> produced.

   Morse Instrument made a daylight tank that took standard
5x7 or 4x7 holders. The tank consisted of a special housing
for the holders with a light tight labrynth at the bottom.
The entire assembly was immerced into standard type tanks
and agitated in the usual way for film hangers by removing
and re-immercing it at intervals. These were made for the
military as well as commercially and at one time were fairly
common used. I missed the last one I saw and have not seen
any recently. Serching eBay for Morse may find one. Morse
also made developing tanks for long rolls of film. There was
a size for 70mm and another for either 35mm or 16mm with a
capacity of 50 feet. The 16mm version was used extensivly by
the Air Force for developing gun camera films.

    Ed Meyers is right about tray developing, it works fine.
The problem is that you need a darkroom to work in while
tanks or drums can be loaded in a changing bag.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com