[LargeFormat] Advice, please !

Georges Giralt largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 17 18:15:11 2004

Hi Dave !
Dave Hornford (Hornford Associates) a écrit :
> Georges,
> A few points
> - re-using filters is a function of lens size not brand. I use a mix of
> Fujinon, Nikon and Schneider lens - my filters are all the size of the
> largest diameter front element I think I'll buy with step-up rings for
> the rest. For example, my Fujinon 90 mm is has a front element diameter
> of 67 mm while my Nikon 300m has a front element diameter of 52 mm. Most
> of my lens I bought on eBay from Australia/Japan/US (I find that the
> non-US/non-European auctions go for a lower price and shipping is nearly
> identical to Canada)
Yes, The Nikon I was looking at is sized at 52 mm as my 35 mm stuff. But
I admit it is an odd argument for choice !
> - for lens have a look at  http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/. Kerry
> has an extensive discussion of lens that are suitable for carrying into
> the field
Will look at it ;-)

> - for Cameras if you do not have any LF experience it is hard to provide
> advice. For example you might prefer base-tilt or use allot of rear
> standard movements. Until you use a camera that has that feature, or one
> that doesn't, it is hard to know what you want. When I started with LF I
> bought a Calumet Cadet off eBay since it was the lowest price LF camera.
> It allowed me to try the format for a couple of hundred dollars. Once I
> had a bit of experience I changed cameras (now a Sinar) and sold the
> Calumet for close to what I bought it for. With the exception of lens
> boards everything else I kept for the new camera.
I'll will have a look at Ebay. And I'll try to use the field camera my
grand father used during WWI. It is 9x12 cm an Ernemann fitted with a
French 135 mm lens. Except for front rise, it has no movements, well it
has focus, of course ;-)
I'll try to get some picture with it and see how it turns.
Thanks for the answer !
Regards