[LargeFormat] Rodenstock Sironar-N (240mm f5.6) question

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 6 09:22:06 2004

Midwest Photo Exchange currently lists two comparable 240 mm lenses:
240 f5.6 Caltar II-N      9            $439
240 f5.6 Nikkor-W       Like new       $689

The Caltar II-N is, I think, the Sironar-N with Calumet's brand name instead of
Rodenstock's.  The Caltar II-N will sell for slightly less with than the
Sironar-N because the market values Rodenstock's name, so you should add a bit
to the price listed for the Caltar.  If the lens you are looking at is in
better condition, then you add more because condition is important.  The price
of the Nikkor-W is a guide against adding too much adjustment to the price of
the Caltar.  Since you are buying from a private seller rather than a merchant
who offers a guarantee, then you subtract some.

You could look up other current 240 mm lenses on ebay, not just the Sironar-N,
and apply similar reasoning about price adjustments.

The used Caltar II-N is priced not much above the new cost of a Copal 3
shutter.  The glass is almost free!

--Micahel