[LargeFormat] Shutter speed lengthened by very small apertures

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Tue Dec 9 20:46:28 2003

Hi Ed:

As a followup, one of the 11x14s came out perfectly exposed, the other
is a little too dark as I had bracketed the second shot at about a half
of the way down from f45 towards f64.  In any case, neither of them is
too light as I would have expected based on your posting about longer
shutter speeds due to very small apertures on large leaf shutters.

When I bought my Rollei 6008i I was worried that the leaf shutters would
give me those longer than expected shutter speeds, but I haven't seen it
there yet either.

I've had the big chromes in hand since the day before Thanksgiving but
hadn't posted because I haven't scanned them yet.  The problem being
that the best one was mangled a bit in the processing machine at the lab
that I use, which makes it unscanable unless I crop it with a razor
blade and straightedge.

When I can make some room on my light table, I'm going to try shooting
them both with the CoolPix and then show you.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com