[LargeFormat] You can't take that photo

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 7 00:50:07 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "rstein" <rstein@bigpond.net.au>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] You can't take that photo

> Dear Nephews and Nieces,
>
>      Uncle Dick is now officially shocked as well. The
tale of the Kodak
> security guard did it. If Les was on public land here in
Australia  (and
> presumably fully clothed and not blocking traffic) he
could legally bid the
> private security guard Good Evening and continue to take
as many pictures of
> the refinery as he liked.
>
>     Reproduction or commercial use of the pictures or
anything with a
> recognisable person in it, of course, still has commercial
and legal
> permissions needed but these are copyright matters.
>
>     Commonwealth military sites and other sensitive areas
are signposted
> here, but they are generally military or naval posts and
enclosed by
> perimeter fences - they carry their own Commonwealth law
regarding
> photographs. Private property has trespass laws but if the
sight you want to
> see and photograph is visible from public property then it
is visible for
> all and the mere recording is no different from observing.
>
>     Of course there are people who make a megasnitty fuss
when they see a
> camera. I always comply with any reasonable request not to
include someone
> in a picture as a matter of good manners but have defended
my right to take
> photos in any case.
>
>     The really funny one is when one of the belly dancers
objects to the
> expression on her face or the extra roll of abdomen that
the picture shows
> and demands the negative. I have a hollow laugh that I
keep in a jar for
> just such occasions.
>
>      Uncle Dick

  I wonder what would happen if a security guard (AKA
Rent-a-Cop) or local patrolman (Bobby to the Brits) actually
came across a spy.
  Scene: A city street. It is a bright, sunny day. Directly
accross, in plain sight, is a large, complicated machine in
a lot behind a chain-link fence. On the fence is is a sign
"No Photography- I'm Secret". Upstage right is a police call
box.
 A man has set up a tripod with something a large camera on
it. A cop comes along twirling his baton.
COP  Whats going on here?
MAN  I'm taking pictures of the secret machine.
COP   Who are you?
MAN  I'm communist spy working for the secret terrorist
underground. We're like McDonalds, just everywhere.
COP  Well, I don't know about this-- I don't think you can
do that.
MAN  Its OK, I have a license to spy. Beside, I talked to
your desk sargent and he said it was OK.
COP  Here, lets see that.
Business  Man takes out large wallet and extracts spy
license.
COP business, looks over license, which unfolds to a large
size. Puts on reading glasses and goes over it. Lips move as
he reads.
COP  Well, this seems to be in order, I'll just call the
station house to check.
COP Walks over to the call box and unlocks it. Picks up
phone.
COP Hi Sarge, Delahanty here. Say, theres this guy taking
pictures of the secret machine over here on Philby avenue.
He claims he got your OK on this.
Listens for a bit.  O.K. Sarge, see you at the Badge and
Bullet after work. (Hangs up and closes box).
COP Well, mister, I guess its OK, the sarge says so. (looks
at camera) say, can I look through that?
MAN Of course, just put your head under this black cloth.
(Cop ducks under very large dark cloth, which completely
covers him. MAN whips away cloth leaving nothing; the COP
has disappeared.
MAN (to himself) Well another one for the collection. (Looks
at wrist watch) I'll be late for the digital photography
meeting. (snaps fingers and disappears in a cloud of
speckles).
Blackout.

---
Richard Knoppow