[LargeFormat] You can't take that photo

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 6 17:56:02 2003

Dear Nephews and Nieces,

     Uncle Dick is now officially shocked as well. The tale of the Kodak
security guard did it. If Les was on public land here in Australia  (and
presumably fully clothed and not blocking traffic) he could legally bid the
private security guard Good Evening and continue to take as many pictures of
the refinery as he liked.

    Reproduction or commercial use of the pictures or anything with a
recognisable person in it, of course, still has commercial and legal
permissions needed but these are copyright matters.

    Commonwealth military sites and other sensitive areas are signposted
here, but they are generally military or naval posts and enclosed by
perimeter fences - they carry their own Commonwealth law regarding
photographs. Private property has trespass laws but if the sight you want to
see and photograph is visible from public property then it is visible for
all and the mere recording is no different from observing.

    Of course there are people who make a megasnitty fuss when they see a
camera. I always comply with any reasonable request not to include someone
in a picture as a matter of good manners but have defended my right to take
photos in any case.

    The really funny one is when one of the belly dancers objects to the
expression on her face or the extra roll of abdomen that the picture shows
and demands the negative. I have a hollow laugh that I keep in a jar for
just such occasions.

     Uncle Dick