[LargeFormat] Eskofot Ultragon

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Oct 23 21:40:14 2003

At 9:06 pm -0400 23/10/03, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Clive:
>
>I just now pulled mine out of the "tiny" 8x10 case.  It's marked
>Eskofot-Ultragon, f9 210mm with a marked iris, f9 to f64.
>
>I again screwed a tapered cable release into the Alphax and yup, it
>works.  The cable release also has a larger diameter external
>straight thread for some sort of screw on, rather than screw in,
>cable release.
>
>This is for my Kodak Master camera with the lensboards that are made
>in a similar fashion as are automobile license plates.  Steve Grimes
>mounted a flange on the lensboard into which he screwed the shutter.
>Then he fabricated a ring which is threaded inside and out.  The
>ring screws into the front of the Alphax and then the lens screws
>into the ring.
>
>It's big... the front of the lens stands approximately 2 1/2 inches
>proud of the lensboard.
>
>I glued the 150 into a piece of black plastic to use with my baby
>speed Graphic with the focal plane shutter.  Haven't used it yet as
>I'm still too busy with the 11x14.
>
>Thanks for the compliment about the photo which looks soooo much
>better on the light table. I'm a little embarrassed to show my old
>scan of it on the web.

Jim,

The outer threads are for an air release - I am fortunate in having
one of these that fits the #5 shutter but it is a little bulky for
field use.

I now understand - your lens is front mounted on the shutter. This
must affect the coverage a little due to mechanical vignetting. The
solution I was hoping for involves removing the lens cells from the
barrel and mounting them in a shutter rather than front mounting.

Is your 8x10 Kodak Master one of those clam shell mag alloy models?
I like the look of these but cannot justify the cost given that I
perfectly capable floppy wooden camera ;-)

The 150mm seems to have huge amounts of coverage - probably better
used on a Speed Graphic rather than the baby.