[LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model Identification

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Sat Sep 13 16:27:46 2003

the Link in my reply will work now.

> [...]
>> holds the lens cover and is 43705.
>
>> There is a plate on the bottom of the camera that extends across its
>> width. It has the patent information and is marked at the top, R.B.
>> GRAFLEX.
>
>> There is a plate on the side of the camera marked Auto Graflex with
>> shutter speeds,
>>
>> The flip up section is released by a button under the front standard
>> and is intended to allow lens boards to be removed/replaced.
>>
>> Series VIIa Protar with combined focal length of 9 1/4" at f6.3
>>
>> No curved dip and the chimney goes to the front of the camera.
>
>> Cheers,
>>            Clive
>>

> Okay I've cut and pasted your post down to "just the facts"
>
> It seems you do have a transitional camera...
>
> Here's a scan from "A review of Graflex" by r. Paine
>
> http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/rbtele.jpg
>
> On the facing page, Paine writes:
>
> "An updated and renamed version of the Telescopic RB Auto Graflex, the
> Tele of 1915 also introduced a 3x4 camera. It's focusing rails were
> solid, whereas those of the 4x5 were still perforated. both cameras
> dropped the fur edging of the view hood. Its simplified, versatile and
> advanced design foretold the Series D of '28; in fact the same body
> was used."
>
> So the Tele has perf'ed rails, a chimney that comes to the edge of the
> camera, hinge on the back, a flip up door without wings, and a body
> that needs a long lens for the format  (9 1/4" isn't a normal lens!)
>

> Paine doesn't show the Telescopic RB Auto Graflex, but does mention it
> again in the citation for the "Revolving Back Auto Graflex of > 1906-1908
>
> " this early issue of the Revolving Back Auto Graflex, which adhered
> closely to the design of the original Graflex, appears to have evolved
> into the 4x5 Tele RB Auto Graflex of 1912."
>
> Yours isn't the RB Auto graflex since yours has a patent date of 1913
> and this ended production in '08,
>
> but yours could be the non-illustrated RB Tele Auto which ran from
> 1912 to ???
> It's more probable that your camera is an early Tele RB Graflex.
> Somewhere in the archives of the Graflex helpboard I remember a
> discussion of these Tele RBs getting a speed table plate from an Auto
> on occasion.
>
> The 1913 Patent date is not as helpful as some think. It certainly
> limits how old it can be, but not how young.... Patent dates, at this
> time were good for 17  years,  so that puts the camera in the 1913 to
> 1930 era.  After that they are SUPPOSE to remove the patent date. But
> that's expensive as new dies had to be made or old ones modified. Many
> times the Manufacturer simply pressed on.
>
> The low serial number puts in in very close to WWI.  I would bet your
> protar it was "Made by the Folmer & Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak"
>  While in 1918, it changed to  ....Schwing DEPARTMENT of Eastman
> Kodak.   Even then they used old Division plates until stock was

One more point,  you mentioned that part of the nickel had worn
off....Believe it or not, F&S actually used a "patinaed silver plate
over brass"  for their finish...at least until the mid 20s when grey
laquer was too cheap to ignore.