[LargeFormat] Auto Graflex RB Model Identification

LNphoto largeformat@f32.net
Fri Sep 12 23:58:22 2003

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 05:17  PM, Clive Warren wrote:
There were several models of Graflex that used the Auto Graflex name
let's see if we can figure out which one this is...

> Perhaps Les in tuned in and can answer this one as he is a Graflex
> fan.  There is a new addition to the cameras here - a 4x5 Auto Graflex
> RB. The latest patent date on a plate on the bottom of the camera is
> 1913.
That eliminates the original from '06 '08
> It has a later Graflok back grafted on and a flip up lens cover that
> has no side bellows.

Hmmmm  did you mean there's no fabric "wings" for the ground glass
hood?  The "no side bellows" has me stumped

> There are (unfortunately) no movements on the front standard.

The RB auto that was made from '21-41 had a folding bed (very!)much
like a speed graphic.  It also had a similar standard that you would
pull out.  Is this what you have?

> It is a real delight to use and I have taken a few shots with it
> already. Will probably post one up in the f32 Forum together with some
> photos of the camera when I can grab a few moments. The lens is a
> couple of Series VII Protar cells - both the same focal length and
> appear to be of the same era as the camera.
>
> There is a detent that seems as though it should lock the back in
> position. It certainly allows you to place the back in the correct
> position but the back tends to rotate if you touch it accidentally
> when using it handheld. There is a little sprung button on the rear of
> the body that if pressed allows the back to revolve freely. Maybe the
> button pin is worn down a bit?
<snip>

It sounds like the the pin or the pin spring is worn.

A couple of questions....

Is the hinge for the top in front or in back?

I'm not sure if Graflex always put serial numbers in the same
place....but on some Graflexes, the serial number was stamped at either
the right or the left side on the inside of the top, right next to the
chimney.

Les