[LargeFormat] Extending bellows draw

philip lambert largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 10 12:40:42 2003

Without answering your points may I mention the idea of a tubular extension
attached to the front of a lens board. It worked quite well on a Linhof I
had and enabled me to use a 305mm lens which could otherwise not have been
used due to short rail and bellows. PL
----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Koshyk" <craig@prairieview.ca>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 2:27 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Extending bellows draw

I recently purchased a nice 8x20 camera of unknown brand (Karona?). It
is in pretty good shape except for the bellows which I will replace.
There are in fact two bellows. One between front and back and another
smaller one on the front that allows for front forward tilt.

Anyway, the bellows draw on the camera is about 19 inches. I plan to
use a G-Claron 305mm lens as there is just enough draw for it (and it
covers 8x20).

This winter I will be completely refinishing the camera and making a
few minor repairs to the wood and brass. I am also thinking about
extending the rails to allow for longer bellows draw and therefore a
slightly wider choice of lenses and the ability to focus a bit closer
if need be. I would of course have the new bellows made long enough to
handle any extension I make. There does not seem to be any pre-existing
extension rail slots or holes in the back à la Kodak 2D but the camera
is built similarily so It looks like an extension could be easily
fashioned and attached with only minor modifications.

Questions

1. How many more inches should I add?

2. Where would I get the geared track to match the original one?

Thanks,

CK