[LargeFormat] Extending bellows draw

Craig Koshyk largeformat@f32.net
Wed Sep 10 09:32:05 2003

I recently purchased a nice 8x20 camera of unknown brand (Karona?). It=20=

is in pretty good shape except for the bellows which I will replace.=20
There are in fact two bellows. One between front and back and another=20
smaller one on the front that allows for front forward tilt.

Anyway, the bellows draw on the camera is about 19 inches. I plan to=20
use a G-Claron 305mm lens as there is just enough draw for it (and it=20
covers 8x20).

This winter I will be completely refinishing the camera and making a=20
few minor repairs to the wood and brass. I am also thinking about=20
extending the rails to allow for longer bellows draw and therefore a=20
slightly wider choice of lenses and the ability to focus a bit closer=20
if need be. I would of course have the new bellows made long enough to=20=

handle any extension I make. There does not seem to be any pre-existing=20=

extension rail slots or holes in the back =E0 la Kodak 2D but the camera=20=

is built similarily so It looks like an extension could be easily=20
fashioned and attached with only minor modifications.

Questions

1. How many more inches should I add?

2. Where would I get the geared track to match the original one?

Thanks,

CK