[LargeFormat] Majestic Tripods (was Re: Biggest is Best Maybe?)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 29 06:46:30 2003

At 19:39 26/06/2003 -0400, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>Hi Clive:
>
>I thought that I had two Majestic tripods until I read their labels so
>that I could answer your question.
>
>The first is a Majestic with three single legs.  I've had it for a few
>years.
>http://www.hemenway.com/Tripods/Majestic-1.jpg
>http://www.hemenway.com/Tripods/Majestic-2.jpg
>
>It's sturdy enough for the 11x14 Korona but I like this recent purchase
>a lot more for the 11x14:
>http://www.hemenway.com/Tripods/Riess-Majestic-1.jpg
>http://www.hemenway.com/Tripods/Riess-Majestic-2.jpg
>http://www.hemenway.com/Tripods/Riess-Majestic-3.jpg
>
>As you can see, it's really a Reiss with a Majestic head and is much
>easier on the shoulder when carried up there, sans Korona.  I carry the
>Korona with my left hand, the tripod over my right shoulder, and the
>canvas bag with filmholders, meters, reading glasses and my especially
>modified darkcloth from a black XXXXL sweatshirt dangling from the
>tripod legs.  I'm good for 7-10 minutes of carrying it that way.
snip

Jim,

Your first Majestic is more or less the same as the smallest that I use. I
have found it to be an excellent tripod and very sturdy. Mine is probably a
little more worn than yours but still does a good job. It is also much
lighter than the later Majestic tripods even though most parts seem to be
made of steel. This is the tripod that I use most frequently with 5x7
cameras - except for the 5x7 Korona which has an Agfa wooden tripod that
seems to be a better combination.

Your Riess legged Majestic is rather wonderful and I bet is a lot lighter
than the large Majestic that I used recently with the 5x7 monorail. The
largest Majestic here is probably more suited to an 8x10 camera, however
the third Majestic is a studio tripod that has box section upper legs and
is a lot lighter than the other two. This is used for 8x10 in the field -
which may not be the best use for it but it works well for me and it can be
carried for short distances with the camera attached on one padded shoulder.

One thing I have found is that the legs have rubber end caps for feet and
on a hard surface there is a little wobble introduced by the rubber caps if
you really look hard for it. I have considered trying to find some spike
feet for use in the field but this may turn what is already a monster
device into something that is also lethal!

Thanks for sharing the photos.