[LargeFormat] How to pay German shops

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 14:32:46 2003

At 12:00 PM 6/19/2003, you wrote:
>And yes, there is no 'reserve' which I consider as an absurd
>concept anyway - an appropriate starting price makes far more sense.
>
>Marco

I agree with you in principle, but, in practice, I have seen studies of
eBay bidding patterns which indicate that bidders are far more likely to
bid on items that have a low starting price. Once bidding, momentum keeps
some bidders going until they may end up paying more than retail for a used
item. Not necessarily good for the buyer, but as a seller I've never turned
the money down. So even if I want to sell a camera (for example, a Zone VI
4x5 field camera, just to keep somewhat on topic) for several hundred
dollars, I will start the auction at $1 and set a reserve price to protect
my interests.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com