[LargeFormat] Osaka Commercial lenses?

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 14 22:22:01 2003

from another list:

So I bought this Osaka Commercial something or other 360 f6.8 lens on
E**Y the other day to get the Copal 3S shutter and throw the glass in
the trash can.  Well the 3S became un-needed when I discovered my
Graphic Kowa 240 f9 was different than all the other larger than 210
Kowas.  So I figured put it on a Cambo 8X10 I'm planning on selling
and make a package deal.  Well friday I took it with me and had a
grand afternoon shooting at Death Valley junction in Amargosa Valley.
 Good thing!  Holy cow that is a sweet lens!  Crisp as hell and
tonality is just gorgeous!  Sorry folks, it's a keeper!  Tessar type,
coated, covers 11X14 and is much sharper than it's American cousin,
Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar, and in a snappy modern shutter to boot.
Paid $305.

That might be a surprise to you, but it is no surprise to me.  I have an
Osaka
120 that I have used for years.  It is probably a double Gauss design that
covers 4x5.  It's as sharp as my Schneider Symmar-S 150 and my Shcneider
Super
Angulon 90.  Small and compact, it is perfect for carrying in my backpack.
have read statements by others that the Osaka lens quality can vary a lot,
but
this lens is very good!

and

http://www.photo.net/search/search?searchType=rest&queryString=osaka+lens&st