[LargeFormat] Osaka Commercial lenses?

Dale Dickerson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 14 22:14:35 2003

A Tessar lens has so few air surfaces that a good single coat will do
the job.  I have used many different Tessar and Xenar lenses that are
single coated. They perform very well even with a light source in the
image. MC really is needed in the lens designs with a larger number of
air exposed elements.

Osaka and Congo lenses go back at least to the 1930s. I prefer German
glass, but must say these are very fine examples of the Tessar design
lens. Note the f stop is for optimal quality from the design.  The
Tessar was called eagle eye for good reason. The design is small, light
weight and sharp. I like it much better then a Planar design, Osaka or
Congo is one of the few companies making this classic lens design.  They
also make a Triplet and other designs, but I like there tessars.

Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net] On
Behalf Of Michael Briggs
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 10:00 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Osaka Commercial lenses?

On 15-Jun-2003 William Wiseman wrote:
> Anbody familiar with this line of lenses? All I have been able to find

> on the web is the current US distributor. I have been looking at one
on
> ebay and wondered about the quality/value of the brand.

Osaka is believed to be the name used by the US distributer (Bromwell
Marketing)
for the Congo line of lenses.   Congo has their own web page:
http://www.cosmonet.org/~congo/index_e.html    The agreement of the
specs
supports the idea identity of the two.

> The distributor lists them as 4 element Tessars, multi-coated and in
> Copal shutters.

The Congo Commericals are Tessars.  Congo lists more lens types than
Bromwell does.

All I see on Bromwell's page is "coated".   Congo's webpage does say
multi-coated.

You will probably find more on the web under the Congo name, e.g., Kerry
Thalmann has some comments at
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm.

--Michael