[LargeFormat] Acme/Ilex #4 shutter fix

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 7 03:10:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Davenport" <w7apd@attbi.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Acme/Ilex #4 shutter fix

> >I've found that they run better with a little lubricant,
> >as most shutters do. About the only information I have on
> >Ilex are the repair instructions for the NO.3 Acme in an
old
> >military repair manual for Speed Graphics. At one point
it
> >says in bold capitals "Do not oil any part of the
shutter".
> >The recommended solvent is given as a military type, SD,
> >have no idea of what it was.
>
> I recently cleaned an Alphax #4 using Ronsonol lighter
fluid.
> Prior to cleaning, it was only good on T or B, with all
timed
> speeds running very slow.  After a good soak and drying
out,
> all the speeds were nominal.  I did oil the ends of the
gear
> shafts in the timing section only, using a light machine
oil
> applied with the tip of the tiniest jeweler's screwdriver
> have.  Probably about 1/100th of a drop of oil per shaft
> doing it that way. I'm happy to report that it works
GREAT.

    Ronsonol is naptha. It works very well as a shutter
cleaning solvent. I think its only drawback is being
inflamable.
    For lubricating I have Nyoil, a light synthetic oil. I
also found light synthetic oil under the name LeBel sold in
model railroad shops. It comes in three grades, I am using
the lightest.
    Watchmakers have special applicators for watch oil but I
don't think they are necessary if one does only occasional
work. Hardwood toothpicks work well as applicators. Another
trick is to use a very fine brush, the many zero size used
for print spotting work well. Put a small drop of oil on a
dish and brush it out. Then pick up a little on the tip of
the brush and put it where you want. I oil the trunions of
the gears and the surface of the palet. The Compur factory
instructions also show the use of a light grease on the
edges of the speed cams. I was told by Compur to use a light
Molykote grease on the spiral springs used in Synchro-Compur
shutters. The factory shutter book shows the use of several
lubricants but they are specified by Deckel part numbers, so
I have no idea what they are. Lubriplate works on sliding
surfaces like speed cams and the speed ring of the Kodak
Supermatic where it touches the case. Lubriplate is a
synthetic (silicone) grease. The silicone oils and greases
have the advantage of having a very wide temperature range
and of not gumming quickly.
  Probably needless to say (but I'll say it anyway)
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com shutter blades and diaphragm blades