[LargeFormat] Acme/Ilex #4 shutter fix

Alan Davenport largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 7 02:46:03 2003

>I've found that they run better with a little lubricant,
>as most shutters do. About the only information I have on
>Ilex are the repair instructions for the NO.3 Acme in an old
>military repair manual for Speed Graphics. At one point it
>says in bold capitals "Do not oil any part of the shutter".
>The recommended solvent is given as a military type, SD, I
>have no idea of what it was.

I recently cleaned an Alphax #4 using Ronsonol lighter fluid.
Prior to cleaning, it was only good on T or B, with all timed
speeds running very slow.  After a good soak and drying out,
all the speeds were nominal.  I did oil the ends of the gear
shafts in the timing section only, using a light machine oil
applied with the tip of the tiniest jeweler's screwdriver I
have.  Probably about 1/100th of a drop of oil per shaft
doing it that way. I'm happy to report that it works GREAT.