[LargeFormat] Dagor77 (Was cult lenses)

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 4 01:47:40 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <stuart.phillips@rcn.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 10:28 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Dagor77 (Was cult lenses)

> http://tinyurl.com/df2x
>
> Another breathless tale of intrigue and daring-do adds
cult-
> status to a lens :)

  Well 77 cents is a good opening bid.
 FWIW, I've never heard anyone else differentiate between
"early" and "late" Golden Dagors. I doubt if there is any
difference. However, Goerz was one of the last manufacturers
to coat lenses routinely so its more likely late than early.
Golden Dagors are mid 1950s vintage, one and all, regardless
of how much Lagavulin one has been drinking.
  f/8 Dagors were not prototypes. I don't think any standard
Dagors were made in this speed. However, one version of the
wide angle Dagor is f/8 (the Zeiss version is f/9) and
Dagors longer than 12" are f/7.7.
  Art Kramer worked for Goerz along about the time the
Golden Dagor was made. He says they ran out of paint one day
and just polished the cells. Might be but I suspect it
originated in the sales department.
  That Scotch sounds more interesting now that I am thinking
about it. Doesn't Johnny Walker now make Gold Label scotch?
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com