[LargeFormat] Re: may or may not develop

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed May 14 21:22:26 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Hemenway" <Jim@hemenway.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 2:15 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Re: may or may not develop

  You've been snipped...
> ---------------
>

> On topic, has anyone ever had problems with filmholder
light leaks which
> seem to appear with some of my older 11x14 filmholders
when the slide is
> withdrawn... while the holders are in the camera?  The
leak patterns on
> the film are thin and are found on the film, top to
bottom, near the
> "handle" end of the holder.  I hope that I'm making sense.
>
> I've never taken a filmholder apart, is there some sort of
felt, etc.,
> inside which can be replaced?
> --
>
> Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

   This sort of leak is fairly common. Its probably from
worn light traps. Most film traps have spring fingers which
press together velvet or some similar material against the
dark slide or against each other when the slide is removed.
   Two method of checking. First, take the dark slides out.
Open the loading flap and look into the film holder while
illuminating the end with a flashlight.
   Other kinds of leaks can be found by putting the holder
into a camera with the lens board removed so you can look
inside. Shine a strong light around the holder from all
angles. It helps of you put a sheet of white paper in the
holder. Sometimes leaks show up better if you use the same
setup with the light inside the camera and look at it in a
darkened room. This will also show up any leaks in the
bellows or bellows fittings.
Alan Brubaker repairs film holders and builds new ones. You
might want to check with him.

awbent@filmholders.com
http://www.filmholders.com/
AWB Enterprises