[LargeFormat] Light meter recommendations

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 10 11:42:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Light meter recommendations

> what lenses do you own that goes beyond f64?
>
> My minolta IVf is a very nice meter, it can dance a little
but the bells
> and whistles don't get in the way of straight metering.
Gives both analog
> and digital readouts
>
> The meter I was trying to find was my old Luna Pro.  I'm
pretty sure it
> will go down that far as well as meter for hours instead
of just seconds.
> That's when it hit me, I haven't seen a lens scaled beyond
f90.   There
> are old lenses out there with scales up to 256, but that's
a Unified
> System scale not an f-stop scale and US256 re-calculates
to f90.
> On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 07:56 AM, Jim Hemenway wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks:
> >
> > I've been using a Weston Master V for years.  It shows
exposures down to
> > f32, which means that I have to adjust for f45 to f128
in my head....
> > sometimes I adjust wrong, usually when my mind is set on
the
> > composition, resulting in some poor exposures.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a meter with a scale down to f128?
It doesn't need
> > to be any fancier than the Master V.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> >
> > Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

  Find a working General Electric PR-1. The stop scale goes
from f/1 to f/128
  To check the cell of any Selenium meter measure a light
level which can be read on both the high and low range. On
the GE you can get near the ends of the meter scale. The
indicated exposure should be within a fraction of a stop.
When selenium cells go bad they compress the upper readings
so will read low for bright light.
  My Luna Pro goes only to f/90.
  I have only one lens calibrated to f/90, a very old Bausch
& Lomb Series V extra wide angle Protar (f/18 wide open). At
f/90 the diffraction blur is quite evident on the ground
glass.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA