[LargeFormat] Ultrabiglargeformatcamera

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 5 18:14:06 2003

The camera is a process camera, used by the semiconductor and printing
industries for decades. I ran one of these in the early 60's. As process
cameras go, this one is not particularly large. Those used for making
semiconductor masks make this one look like a toy.

Process cameras for the printing industry used arc lamps (later pulsed
xenon lamps) and were used to make line and halftone negatives.

Process cameras for the semiconductor industry used a very sharp cutoff
green light and lenses that were made to be exceedingly sharp only at that
one wavelength. These cameras were made to be able to reduce man made
semiconductor layer tape-ups (very large) down to microscopic size for
masks from which to manufacture integrated circuits.

The big process cameras were focused by the numbers. Not a loupe and ground
glass. A crank on the back to dial-in the number for the percentage reduction.

Jim