[LargeFormat] DIY Focusing Cloth and Blankies

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 22 00:02:04 2003

Dear Friends,

    If you are kind to me I will tell you about my new camera. It arrived
today to the dismay of the girl in the post office who had never seen a
parcel like it. When I told her the package was full of severed heads she
heaved a sigh of relief - she feared much worse.

    But I cannot say more now as you have not been kind to me yet and my
response will be proportional.

    I can comment, however, on focussing cloths. I use one that is
permanently attached to the floor or the ground and is only rarely and
momentarily draped over my head. Or over the camera. Never the two at once.
Chose which one before you start.

    Chose quickly, as the cloth will slip off faster than a belly dancer's
bangles. It does not matter if you fasten it to your wooden camera with wood
screws or your metal camera with metal screws or your forehead with a
staple - it will still slip off. The best solution to the problem so far hs
been to get a second-hand reflex focussing finder for the back of the Linhof
and to learn to focus and frame the field camera with bright sunlight
falling directly on the ground glass.

    As an added exercise I also use eyeglasses that are two prescriptions
ago and smear the lenses with goanna oil. This leads to remarkable pin-sharp
results - I have fastened a string with the focussing distance to the front
standard of the camera and I pin the other end to the subject. I can show
you a lively and animated series of nudes, I can tell you - it is a big pin.

     Uncle Dick