[LargeFormat] EBay

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 11 10:34:26 2003

At 07:21 PM 2/10/2003, Alan Davenport wrote:
>Stan, you're missing the point.  Sniping with your maximum bid still lets
>the proxy system work; snipers know that.
>What it protects you from, is guys who DON'T place their maximum bid, but
>keep raising the ante every time someone
>outbids them.  A well-timed snipe doesn't give those guys time to place
>another bid manually; you'll still lose if
>someone else placed a higher proxy bid, but you always win against the
>guys who only bid $1 over the previous amount.
>The net result: sniping saves money on many of the items you do win.

Well, I think that's what I said:
"It [sniping] does have advantages when bidding against an interactive
bidder and also when bidding against someone who has entered too small a
bid for his/her maximum. It doesn't give them any time to revise their
bids. So in that sense it is effective ..."

This is really off topic, so this will be my last post on this subject.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com