[LargeFormat] Introductions

Roger Klinkenborg largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 23 09:20:12 2003

>There are now 321 members of the f32 Large Format list!

Hello F32 Forum Photographers

	I am Roger Klinkenborg amd I have been working in large format
photography since the 1970's when I had a chance to meet Ansel Adams,
Morley Baer, and toher in a Yosemite workshop. That is, I realized that I
wanted to continue to make photographs. This did all eventually lead to
using a basic Omega 4x5, a Speed Graphic with flash at employee parties and
walking the valley on my days off for 4-5 years.
	My first camera was a Pax 35mm, and I later used a Yashika Mat 124.
I printed terribly, but didn't know it so I just kept working.
	I still use 35mm when I travel overseas, and a Mamiya TLR, but I
realy enjoy working with 8x10 (a B&J) and 11x14 (an ancient kodak Empire
state). Both require me to stay in shape so I will continue to shoot new
images until I can't carry the equipment or I stop walking one day that I
am out in the field.
	I enjoy closing in om the subject at hand, and giving the viewer a
way to step into the image and explore it. That is why I enjoy viewing
contact prints, since there are fewer obstacles to a clear print, one that
I can step into myself.
	Most summers I travel west (from Iowa) to visit family and to find
new images. I know there are a lot of images here, but I prefer the
mountains, the ocean, the seashore, and the dramatic nature of the western
geography.
	I use a wide range of Dagor lenses, in shutter and barrekl, and
have devised a special lensboard with a packard shutter behind onto which I
cam mount some 8-9 different lenses. This has worked very well so far
because I rarely use an exposure of less that 1/20 of a second ( the
instantaneous time on a packard shutter) When it was too windy at Point
Reyes in California, I uxposed a negative to 6-9 1/20th second exposures to
make a single photograph. This was done using a 24" artar (uncoated) @ f/16
with 20 mph winds. Lately I have had 2-3 lenses mounted in shutter since I
have been able to obtain some wider lenses that don't work well on the
packard shutter.
	Color images are beyond me at this time because of its cost and the
fact that I see better in B&W. As a kid most of the programs on TV were in
B&W and this may have affected what I like to photograph.
	When I can find some grinding powder I am going to experiment with
making my own ground glass, since the large poieces are expensive ahd hard
to find on the road.
	Does anybody know of an on-line source for the grinding materials??
Roger Klinkenborg
. . . . .